Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Safety and Ethics 2.0

While looking at websites concerning the uses of wikis by teachers, I came across a slide show from a presentation on the safety and ethics of 2.0 technology. When we viewed the links our instructor provided for us to create our blogs, we were introduced to the author of this presentation, Cool Cat Teacher (Vicky Davis). Here she set "the current technology landscape in terms of the hardware that are causing concerns in schools." Teams discussed scenarios and then presented them to the group. In the slide show the technologies are outlined. The point was made that it would be extremely difficult to ban everything that gives students access to possibly problematic content and at the same time banning the technology would put students at greater risk concerning their safety. The author states, "The purpose was to bring all aspects of each ethical dilemma to light so that educators can return to their schools or classrooms and advocate well-informed policy changes." A lot of discussion details are missing from the slide presentation, however, the current technology she discusses is some I have not yet encountered personally and the points made concerning safety and ethics of this technology are interesting and important.

The presentation can be viewed at: Safety and Ethics 2.0

A related presentation by the same author: New Technologies in Education

2 comments:

Mike said...

This was a very interesting thing to bring up. In my class room I allow the students to use mp3 players and Ipods for selected content that they download from me, and I have them use their cellphone cameras for projects. I guess I hadn't thought of the other safety concerns that the presentation brought to light. Which leads me to believe that we as teachers really do need to embrace the technology and incorporate it more into the school day.

Mike

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks